Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Day to remember...

Yesterday we went to Domino Farms in Ann Arbor to meet with Evan's hand surgeon.  FINALLY!  It was a nice ride there but I was a bit anxious.  I tried to keep the conversation light, so Aaron and I talked about all kinds of things, the weather, work, possibly looking at buying a house in the spring, etc.  Before I knew it, we were there.  I'm not exactly sure what else they do there, but I saw all kinds of animals as we pulled into the parking lot.  There were long horned bulls, striped cows from Scotland, and even some alpacas.  It was neat see them all grazing all around the building.  I wish I had taken my camera, I definitely will next time we go there.  The wait wasn't too long.  We got some x-rays and then we waited a bit more.  When we went in to see the doctor, the nurse was super nice.  She took a look at Evan's hand and said, "Oh, that's not too bad."  She said that they see cases like Evan's at least once a month.  That made me less nervous just knowing that Evan wouldn't be a first for them.  The PA came in first and then went to get the doctor.  When Dr. Chung came in he was very serious looking.  He asked some questions and took a look at Evan's hand.  He said it wasn't too bad, but it WAS going to be tricky to fix due to the location of the bands.  He said that we will wait until Evan is a few months older before we do his first surgery, there will be more to come as he grows.  When we do, he will have the band on his left leg released, some of the bands on his hand, and also the band on his right big toe.  Then someone came in to take photographs of Evan's hand so the Dr. can take a look and figure out what exactly he will have to do to repair Evan's fingers.  I am NOT looking forward to ANY of these surgeries, but I know that they are necessary to keep Evan growing and developing the right way.  I am nervous and a bit scared of what the recovery will entail on my part. I am not sure what to expect as far as the healing process and what we will need to do to take care of Evan properly so he heals the best he can.  It will definitely be interesting to say the least.  I will update more as we get more information, right now it is just waiting for them to schedule the surgery, it should be in November or December.


Alpacas~Taken with my phone

When we left the building and walked to our car, this is what we saw.  The alpacas had made their way to our side of the building and were grazing on the hill right in front of where we were parked.  It was kinda cool. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment