Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Most Amazing Experience!

Evan was due to be born on April 9th but he had decided to arrive a bit early.  On Friday March 25th I began my day like any other.  I went to work (I was a Preschool Teacher) and had a great day.   I was excited because I only had a week left of work and then I would enjoy my time at home relaxing before Evan came into the world.  I noticed halfway through the day that the back ache I had been experiencing since the day before began to get more painful.  I have a fairly high pain tolerance and didn’t pay too much attention to it.  By it was time for me to go home.  I ate dinner and talked to a few people on the phone.  By the pain was getting stronger but I continued to ignore it and my husband and I settled in and started to watch a movie.  We didn’t get very far into the movie because the pain was so bad I couldn’t get comfortable.  It hurt to sit or lay or even stand. 

I decided to call the Midwives to see what I should do.  Shelie called us back and said to take some Tylenol and try to get some sleep.  She really thought I was just having a back ache since my water hadn’t broken and I wasn’t having any contractions. (I thought I wasn’t but couldn’t tell because of the pain in my back.)   I took a shower and tried to get as comfortable as possible.  By my back was in so much pain, it was unbearable.  We called the answering service again.  When Shelie called us back I told her that it felt like I needed to push but my bag of waters were still in tact and I was only having mild contractions.  She told us to start getting ready and head over to the Birth Center. 

It took us 35 minutes to get there.  We arrived at Saturday, March 26th.  Shelie was waiting for us and getting the tub all ready for me.  She asked if it was ok to check to see if I was dilating since my water hadn’t broken. I was ok with that since I thought it might help explain my back pain.  She couldn’t believe it when she saw that I was fully dilated, because “most women who are that dilated don’t just walk around smiling” like I was.  I was just as shocked as she was but I finally had a reason for my back pain.  I had probably been in labor all day and didn’t even know it.   We began to settle in and I tried to rest in bed for a little while.  Then I decided to hop in the tub.


 My husband and I decided to call my mom to join us for the delivery because I thought it was getting too close and she was 45 minutes away.  My younger sister, Andrea, was supposed to be a support person during the labor and delivery.  She attended all of the birth classes with my husband and I.  She was so excited to share in our experience.  Unfortunately, she won a week-long trip to Jamaica.  She told Evan that she would be back soon and to sit tight until she returned.  She was due back Sunday.  Well, Evan decided that it was time to make his grand entrance whether his Auntie was there or not.  M y mom arrived with snacks and a smile and was so glad to share our special journey with us.  It was nice to have her there to hold me and keep me cool with a cold wet washcloth.  Clarice arrived shortly after. 
                      

At my water broke and I began pushing.  I can honestly say that the most painful part of labor was the pain in my back.  I had no tearing and the contractions were not painful at all. 

At , after a fairly short amount of pushing, our little bundle of love, Evan Kyle, was born.  He was beautiful and perfect in every way. I was in shock and awe at how fast it progressed and was left with a feeling of “what just happened?” 


We held each other and waited for my husband to cut the cord.  When it was time Shelie and Clarice helped me into some dry pajamas and into bed to nurse Evan.    We laid and rested together in the cozy queen size bed as a new family.  I drank some tea, had a snack and even took a nap. 

That's my Daddy!
Hello Grandma!


After we rested, Evan and I were able to take an AMAZING herbal healing bath together, even though I didn’t have any tearing.  It was quite an experience. 


We rested in bed some more and then Evan was weighed and measured by Shelie with a really cool scale.  He was 6 pounds 13 ounces and 19 ½ inches long. 


When we were feeling well enough, it was time to go home.  It was an absolutely miraculous experience and I couldn’t have asked for a more peaceful labor and delivery.  Thank you to Clarice, Shelie, Audra and everyone else at the Greenhouse Birth Center for helping to make a wonderful memory that our family won’t ever forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment